Thursday, April 29, 2010

MONIQUE MINTON

Get to know Monique Minton from our 2010 FLEX Swimsuit Issue

Monique Minton
Height 5ft 10in
Weight 150 lbs
Birthdate Aug 17, 1984
Marital Status Single
Home Dallas, Texas, United States of America
Occupation Figure Competitor/Spokes Model/Fitness Management Group Athlete?IFBB Bikini Pro

Monique enjoys reading and cooking in her spare time. Her favorite foods are protein pancakes, fish, sushi and ezikiel bread. Her favorite cheat foods include peanut butter, cheese and bread. MOMO, as her friends call her, is also obsessive about BJJ and MMA. She is a NAGA grappling champion, so look out for her to be taken on some big names in MMA in the next few years.

Participated in the following shows contest
2010 IFBB Olympia NP

2010 IFBB Pittsburgh Pro Figure & Bikini

2010 IFBB MuscleContest Pro Bikini 2nd

2009 NPC USA Bodybuilding & Figure Championships 1st

2009 NPC USA Bodybuilding & Figure Championships 1st

2008 NPC National Bodybuilding & Figure Championships 5th

2008 NPC Team Universe Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure National Championships 4th

2008 NPC USA Bodybuilding & Figure Championships 3rd

2008 NPC John Sherman Classic Bodybuilding, Fitness & Figure Championships 1st

After Watching IFBB Pro League bikini competitor and 2009 FLEX Swimsuit Issue cover model Monique Minton glide into place onstage or turn it on for the camera, it's hard to imagine her putting the hurt on opponents on the jujitsu mat. Although "tough" is the last word anyone would use to describe a bikini competitor, in Minton's case, it's more than appropriate, because this statuesque beauty won the women's novice class in the NAGA Texas and Europa Grappling Championships in 2009. "I like the challenge of getting on the mat and going against my opponent," Minton said. "Competing in bikini and jujitsu, I get the best of both worlds--the glamour and the grit."

Minton credits her parents and her upbringing for her ability to excel at two disparate activities. Her mother, Nadine, was a model and her father, Oscar, was a strict disciplinarian who taught her humility and mental toughness and instilled in her a strong work ethic The result: a girl who will break your heart and your arm, then, smiling gently, help you into the car and drive you to the hospital.

FATHER KNOWS BEST 1

"My dad is very old-school 1 Filipino, so I wasn't allowed I to do anything other than go to school and stay home with the family until I finished high school. After that, we were on our own and could do what we liked, so I've been doing a lot of catching up."

NO SISSY STUFF "I was never athletic growing up. My mom got me into runway modeling when I was 13, because she used to do it. I stopped when I was 21, because I got burned out. I took a year off and that's when I got into figure."

TOUGHEN UP "Every holiday, my dad was in charge of lechon [roast piglet]. I was the oldest, about eight or nine the first time, and while my dad cut the pig's throat, I had to hold the bucket and catch the blood. I remember the pig squealing and how sad it was, because it was once our pet. Dad treated us like boys to toughen us up. I guess you can say it worked. I'm not afraid to train or fight with anyone."


HOT AND HEAVY "I used to lift really heavy. I don't anymore. Now, I get a good workout in, but I'm able to take my aggression out on real people. It's a huge stress reliever. I just feel sorry for my opponent if I'm having a bad day."

SKILLFULLY SEXY "I feel strong when I'm rolling on the mat. Winning at jujitsu is a different feeling, because I'm not being judged on my looks. It's about technique and utilizes a different set of skills than it takes to win in bikini. It makes me a more well-rounded person."

GIRL POWER "Training with men sharpens my technique, because I have to counter their strength. It makes you better for when you go up against women. I've beaten a lot of guys--even a brown belt--but they're cool about it. There are no hard feelings afterward."

IT'S ABOUT RESPECT"ln bikini, I get to dress up, be sexy and show off all the hard work I've done in the gym. That's something girls love to do. In jujitsu, on the other hand, I go in dressed like a boy. I don't feet sexy at all, but that's what I need to do to earn respect."

TWO-TIMER "What's great about the training for jujitsu and bikini is that they intertwine so nicely. I go lighter with higher reps, and that helps a lot with my jujitsu training."


Picture taken from Flex nagazine photoshoot :





Monique video :
click here



No comments:

Post a Comment